Say what!? It’s Thursday again? Wow, just flies when you are a Mum of a baby that doesn’t want to be put down……… I guess the thing about doing a weekly series is that I can really see how LITTLE I am getting done in the space of a week. Hmmm.
So, the weekly round up, what has been on my mind this week? In no particular order…….
- M O A N A ! So excited to see the trailer released for the newest Disney “princess” movie, Moana. As a Mama of a gorgeous Micronesian girl it gave me chills to see that when Mia gets older there will at least be a sliver of color in the media world that looks like her. Plus, having lived in New Zealand I love seeing the character of Maui and knowing all about him from our time at Playcentre and subsequent books about Maori Myths and Legends.
- C R E A T I V I T Y. Childhood creativity leads to innovation in adulthood. Clarke and I were just talking today about how we love how creative Mr. Oliver is, with his constant drawing, building, and creating. I hope we can encourage his natural creativity and curiosity for as long as possible.
- D I G I T A L N A T I V E S. Oliver came home from school asking to get on to the website Scratch, and is programming away whenever we give him the chance. His class also went on a field trip today to The Mind Lab, and Oliver was a pro at setting up the remote for a car and programing tinfoil to respond to touch with the Makey Makey. Watching him just absorb all of this technology is just amazing, and some people say that all kids should learn to code because it is just a skill everyone should know.
- O R L A N D O. The future of that word has now shifted from theme parks to mass shooting, hate crime, terrorism, gun violence. Events like this are so shocking and numbing all at once. How can they keep happening? What can change to make it so these horrific events aren’t so normal that when we hear about them it just becomes the next statistic?
- R E C Y C L E. I saw this story a while ago and have been happy to see that there is an update. Dave Haakens is a super cool Dutch designer who invented an open source plastics recycling unit for home use to encourage creatives and entrepreneurs to repurpose on a small scale. The world needs more people like this! Now if only we could find a way to funnel all the plastic in the ocean to be repurposed…..
So there it is, some food for though for the week. What are you thinking about this week? Share in the comments below.